Bootable Clone vs Time Machine Backup

dmclaughlin2

19 Apr, 2011 11:37 PM

What is the difference between the dolly bootable clone and directly using time machine back up to an external drive?

I use dolly to back up to the cloud and time machine to my external HD. Is there added value or something I am missing that makes a bootable clone better than a time machine back up?

Thanks for you help!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mark Ross on 19 Apr, 2011 11:57 PM

Absolutely!

The bootable clone is a complete snapshot of the contents of your hard drive including the ability to boot/run your computer in the event of a catastrophic failure of your internal drive, loss of laptop or other not-so-happy event.

Dolly Drive's bootable clone combined with the cloud storage provides you with the maximum protection and digital peace of mind. It is a very powerful combination.

Your clone should be updated weekly while Dolly Drive and Time Machine manage the hourly/daily incremental backups. You technically don't have to backup to the external drive this way.

So...yes - add the clone to your digital life right away. We are here to help with any part of that process as well.

Thanks for choosing Dolly Drive!

Mark

2. 2 Posted by Bernie on 30 Jul, 2012 11:38 AM

Mark,

I understand that the recovery procedure involves booting of the Dolly Drive.

What exactly would I be booting at this time, the latest Time Machine backup or can I control which date/time stamp it boots from?

Can you please send me the steps involved with doing this booting of a Dolly backup? Does it involve the Option Key chooser (somehow), or do I still need some other kind of boot media before I can boot off the cloud? (2 step bootstrap)

Also, once booted of the cloud backup, can you please tell me the steps I'd use to restore to a local drive?

How does a family membership work and can that later be split into individual accounts (when my daughter ends up on her own)?

Thanks,
    Bernie

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Andrew Baronick on 30 Jul, 2012 06:30 PM

Bernie,

Im sorry i think we might be a little confused. The clone is done to an external drive. The cloud backup is to our off site storage site. When you perform a clone to an external drive there is no time stamp feature only the latest clone. You can do update clones without having to do a complete clone over.

After this you can turn the computer off, plug in the external drive that has the clone and turn the computer on holding the option key. This will bring up a screen showing the bootable drive the computer sees. The computer should now see your internal hard drive as well as the external bootable clone. You can now use the arrow key to highlight the external drive then press enter to boot from the external drive.

Please let me know if this answers your question or if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
    Andrew

4. 4 Posted by Bernie_Doehner on 30 Jul, 2012 06:39 PM

Hi Andrew,

Indeed I was a little confused. What would be the recovery procedure if say my only local drive failed, and I had to restore the entire set from the cloud? Am I still out of luck here because I need a clone on a local external hard drive to do this?

Thanks,
    Bernie

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Andrew Baronick on 31 Jul, 2012 06:16 AM

Bernie,

You can backup all files and folders you wish to backup to the cloud. The clone is not done to an internal drive but rather an external hard drive so if your internal drive dies you have the external hard drive that you can use to boot from then replace the internal hard drive and do a cone from the external hard drive that you booted from to the new internal hard drive that you put in.

All extra increments and other files and folder that have not been updated through the clone you can retrieve from the cloud as most people only update the clone every week or so and use the cloud backup every hour to 4 hours.

Thanks,
    Andrew

6. 6 Posted by XRumerTest on 03 Feb, 2013 07:05 AM

Hello. And Bye.

7. Anthony Palermo closed this discussion on 17 Feb, 2013 10:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac