External Hard Drive

David Hearne

10 Apr, 2011 12:58 AM

If I have an external usb harddrive that I also need to back-up. Will I be able to back-up the external drive on the Drive Dolly. I presebtly do this with my Time Machine Drive. I am a photographer and I need to have a separate back-up of my photo files. I have been evaluating cloud storage and I like some of your features, but I ultimately will need closer to 500 GB cloud storage which I know you are working on.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Travis Rivera on 10 Apr, 2011 04:21 PM

David,

Yes you can use the inclusion assistant to choose what you would like to back up. Dolly Drive allows you to back up external drives. You will find the in the volumes section drop down a list of all mounted volumes that can be backed up.

regards,

2. 2 Posted by Stephen on 02 Mar, 2014 02:53 PM

Dolly is not backing up the drive. I add the drive to Preferences -> Backup -> Inclusions. It does nothing, even when I manually run backup. If I go to recover, I can see the volume listed, but there is nothing in it.

I wondered if picking a volume on its own was the problem, so I picked a folder within the USB drive. As far as I can tell, same result: no backup and no warning that it didn't backup, which is not good.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Travis Rivera on 03 Mar, 2014 02:20 PM

Can we connect with a screen share ? I would like to take a look into this and see if I can correct this issue. Do toy have time today to connect with a join.me session ?

4. 4 Posted by Stephen Newport on 03 Mar, 2014 03:22 PM

That will be tough. It is my wife's computer at home.

I got one folder to back up, but then it stops. I set the computer to
    always be awake, but it seems like the drive goes to sleep. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Travis Rivera on 03 Mar, 2014 05:29 PM

What time will you have access to the machine ? This maybe something like it schedule this evening if it's more convenient for you. Let me know.

6. Anthony Palermo closed this discussion on 05 Dec, 2014 04:14 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac