Can Dolly Drive work in parallel with a Time Capsule?

Owen

09 Apr, 2011 12:28 AM

Does Dolly Drive completely replace any other backup options or can it work in parallel with an on-site Time Capsule? Thanks for any info you can provide!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mark Ross on 09 Apr, 2011 12:44 AM

Hi Owen,

The answer is a yes and no today. For most users, Dolly Drive solves all of their backup needs.

Yes, Dolly Drive has the capacity through Time Machine to "toggle" to various backup locations. Time Capsule, external drives and other locations in addition to the cloud storage.

No, it does not currently do this programmatically, meaning you will need to manually change the backup destination for Time Machine to point to.

We have this under consideration for a future option.

What you do have today that no other backup modality offers is the bootable clone. This is clearly the option that you should select first, then introduce Dolly Drive/cloud storage and then finally, if you still need the reassurance or for other reasons, add back local storage. This gives you the best of all worlds.

Let me know of any other questions.

Mark

2. 2 Posted by Jeff on 21 Apr, 2011 09:20 PM

So, are you saying that since Dolly Drive is based on TimeMachine, I can't differentiate what gets backed up to the cloud vs what get backed up locally. This is actually a deal breaker because I want TimeMachine to run locally on a 2 TB external drive. My current TimeMachine sparsebundle package is 1 TB in size (My Hard Drive is 2TB). I don't want to pay for 1-2 TB of storage. So, what I' would like to do is have TimeMachine backup as it is currently to my local drive and a subset of that data to Dolly Drive cloud storage. Is that what this parallel processing is talking about ? Is there any way to do this that I am missing ?

Thanks,
    Jeff

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Mark Ross on 22 Apr, 2011 02:05 PM

Jeff,

There are a couple of ways to approach this including the use of the Dolly Drive cloning feature to the external drive. Very simple and Dolly native.

We are going to run some tests over the next couple of days on related items as well and will get back to you.

4. 4 Posted by Jeffrey Rabe on 25 May, 2011 01:34 AM

Any updates ?

5. 5 Posted by Roger Parks on 27 May, 2011 08:07 PM

I am looking for the same things as Jeff. Want a local copy AND a back-up (esp. pictures and music) in the cloud.

6. 6 Posted by Darryl M on 28 May, 2011 11:07 PM

Agree with the above posts. I am currently using Time Machine to back up to my Time Capsule and then an additional weekly backup to an external drive (switching the destination source manually in Time Machine). For me, and perhaps others, the ideal solution would be;

1. Automated backup to the Time Capsule via Time Machine
    2. Automated backup to the cloud (via Time Machine)
    3. Periodical reminders to back up to a bootable disk

It would seem your solution offers 2&3 but not 1, is this correct?

If you offered all of the above the solution would be a no-brainer, as it stands it still has significant benefits and looks like a great product. Congratulations.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Travis Rivera on 29 May, 2011 01:26 PM

We are wrapping up some new features to Dolly Drive. One includes the double scheduler. We will have adjustable scheduler to set the Dolly Drive Clone feature as well as one for the cloud backups. You will be able to set both scheduler's for automated back ups & .clones. As for the Time Capsule we do not have any automated solution to to back up to the Time Capsule. However we do have a manuel one. If you open Dolly Drive Preferences you will noticed a restore button on the lower left side of the preferences window. This button will remove Dolly Drive & reinstate the previous configurations of your Time Machine backup. So if the last thing you were backing up to was the time capsule than when pressing that option you will be manually be choosing the time capsule to be the new back up destination. Once your ready to back up to Dolly Drive just open Dolly Drive an the configuration will switch to make Dolly the new backup destination.

Regards,

8. 8 Posted by bram on 08 Jun, 2011 03:48 PM

It seems that relying on one source, either a hard disk or online is risky. There is no guarantee that Dolly Drive won't have some massive failure where all my data is gone.

Given this new cloud strategy, why doesn't apple change TM to let backup in parallel to online and hard drive?

Additionally, I cannot guarantee I will have an internet connection at all times, so if I want to go back in time, I can plug in at any time.

As far as bootable backup, you can download Carbon Copy for free or contribute, which i did and it works great.

I am using a OWC hard drive to backup and a Carbon Copy bootable for emergency. But, I did have a hard drive failure and lost data, which woke me up to the risk.

It seems also Dolly's business model would be enhanced with this change.

Appreciate comments.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Travis Rivera on 08 Jun, 2011 04:38 PM

Bram,

One dealing with online backups maybe more time consuming but it is less risky then backing up to a hard drive because of low life expectancy. The way we setup Dolly Drive there is no chance of data loss. We have back ups of your back ups and backups of our entire system. We believe apple is not trying penetrate the storage/backup markets, none the less they have no interest in supporting millions TM backups.

Additionally, if you are not a user that has internet connection all the time, Then partitioning a External Drive for one TM back and the second The Clone Should have you complete covered without needing the internet ( assuming your External HD is in good health & never lost or stolen ) . If your internal HD fails your clone will be there to boot up & immediately get you running. Once you get your replacement drive you can then clone back to your internal HD. If you just misplaced a file or if a file has gotten corrupted Enter Your TM and retrieve the files from the Time Machine timeline. Then whenever you do get internet again you have your offsite Time Machine back ups in the cloud.

There are a few application that can do a small number of functions of Dolly Drive, However, You will not find a product that does all that Dolly does in a single packaged back up solution.

10. 10 Posted by bram on 08 Jun, 2011 05:18 PM

What would be the problem from apple's viewpoint to change the software so that it allowed me to back up to 2 external drives or to one external and dolly drive? Is it a security issue?

Could or do you plan to develop a mac app that would enhance TM to do parallel backups?

Could you explain to me what you meant by partitioning the external with one TM backup and one clone. For example, I have TM now on the external and a clone on another external.

Do you mean, if i switched TM to you, I would still have a TM backup that I could look at and add a clone from you? Does the clone get updated with new data when I do TM to Dolly?

What happens if I go with Dolly and then decide to leave? How do I get my info?

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Travis Rivera on 08 Jun, 2011 07:39 PM

its a time Machine limitation to only have a single back up destination at a time, No real work around to the TM software. We could look into develop something to have multiple destination but at this time its not available.

As for the partitioning of an external drive. When using disk utilities you can partition a single External drive into 2 partitions. When you do this the computer will see the External drive as 2 separate drives. You can use one for the clone and the other one for a TM back up. It is essentially the same as having to drives. You will make the clone partition a little larger than your then your used space on your internal drive. The other partition you can setup from TM Preferences as the backup destination.

I think if you join dolly you will not want to leave, however, If you needed a file from Dolly Drive you will have to restore it before you cancel your account. Your info will still be on the clone as well as our servers unless you request that the data be removed. but all in all you should have all your data because Dolly Drive is the back up of it.

Regards,

12. 12 Posted by steven on 08 Jun, 2012 02:38 AM

I'm coming to this discussion almost exactly a year after the last post. I seem to want what others do as well: a local Time Machine backup, and a Dolly Drive backup.

I understand that Time Machine is designed to use only a single destination at a time; I could manually switch between Dolly Drive and my Time Capsule. But I strongly belielve that backups shouldn't require manual intervention.

What would be nice would be if you could figure out a way to automate that switching, so that every other Time Machine backup would go to Dolly Drive, with the rest being backed up to my local Time Machine volume.

If your software did that, I'd not only sign myself up, but I'd start recommending it to my clients as well (I'm a Mac consultant).

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Travis Rivera on 08 Jun, 2012 11:54 AM

Hey Steven,

With our newest lion version, you are now able to schedule local cloud backups. This means that users did with the time capsule continue backing up to the time capsule. The scheduling process is what allows the local backup & the cloud backup to be able to switch back-and-forth automatically. Check us out now as we might be able to suit your backup needs.

Regards,

14. 14 Posted by Owen on 08 Jun, 2012 12:30 PM

Travis - this sounds great! Is there a help doc you can point me to that describes this process in a little more detail?

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Travis Rivera on 08 Jun, 2012 02:41 PM

This Doc shows some things on the new services, as well as giving some screen shots of the app.

Regards,

16. 16 Posted by Tom on 06 Jul, 2012 08:10 PM

Thanks Travis. I see your post and skimmed the doc. I'm also a set-and-forget type person and think backus should be as transparent as possible. To be clear, does Dolly Drive allow me to continue backing up via Time Machine to my Time Capsule AND Dolly Drive without any user intervention or periodic manual switching?

thanks.
    -Tom

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Travis Rivera on 08 Jul, 2012 11:48 AM

This method can only be done with lion users. Dolly drive allows you to keep all your local time machine setting, even to a time capsule. You can schdule the cloud and local backups & local backups and they will switch automatically for you. Note this method can not be used on the snow leopard OS. 10.6.8

18. 18 Posted by Jeffrey Rabe on 08 Jul, 2012 02:24 PM

It's still not clear to me whether or not you support my initial request of being able to backup different data sets depending on whether it's local or remote. For example, I"d want my whole hard drive backup up to my Time Capsule and a much smaller subset of data to the remote Dolly Drive data store

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by Travis Rivera on 08 Jul, 2012 03:18 PM

Yes, you will have something called the inclusion assistant which will allow separate profiles for the cloud and local backups. So what you trying can be done with dolly. Let me know if there is anymore questions :)

Regards,

20. 20 Posted by Per on 03 Aug, 2012 08:29 AM

With the new TM features in Mountain Lion, you should now be able to use the buit in auto drive switching?

21. Support Staff 21 Posted by Travis Rivera on 03 Aug, 2012 12:30 PM

With the new mountain lion OS you will need to use the dolly drive revo app. You will sign in to dollydrive.com and sign up for beta. Then the app will be emailed to you. Once this is one you will be able to have cloud backups and well as a fully muti destination time machine.

Regards,

22. Mark Ross closed this discussion on 15 Aug, 2012 10:07 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac